Four Sisters of Mount Carmel celebrate jubilees
Four Sisters of Mount Carmel will be honored in celebration of the anniversaries of their religious professions at a Mass and reception Sept. 19 at St. Leo Church in Lafayette.
Celebrating 60 years of vowed life are Sisters Joan Broussard, Bartholomew “B” DeRouen, Lawrence Habetz and Evelyn Mire.
Sister Joan, native of Pecan Island, Louisiana, entered the congregation in 1952. After earning a master’s degree in child development and fam- ily living from Texas Woman’s University, she taught in various schools of the Sisters of Mount Carmel in New Iberia, Carencro, Paincourtville, New Orleans (St. Dominic) and Thibodaux. She served as a missionary in Peru and Mexico as well as a home missionary among Navajo Indians in New Mexico. She worked with Boys Hope of Baton Rouge and spent many years as house di- rector of the Carmelite Retreat Center in Lacombe and coordinator for the retired sisters. She teaches Spanish at Cub Corner Preschool and volunteers as a Spanish translator at Notre Dame Hospice in New Orleans.
Sister Bartholomew, a native of New Orleans, entered the congregation in 1952 and made her first profession in 1955. She has a master’s degree in education from St. Louis University and a certificate of advanced educational speci- fication in religious educa- tion from Boston College. She taught from 1955-75 at St. James Major High School in New Orleans, where she served as principal from 1966-69 and later at Mount Carmel High School in Abbeville, Mount Carmel Academy in New Orleans and Mount Carmel High School in New Iberia. She worked in campus ministry at McNeese State University in Lake Charles and Louisiana State University in Eunice. She served as councilor for the congregation from 1985-93. She was a family counselor for the Diocese of Lafayette, and served as pastoral associate in Rayne. She also served as coordinator of spirituality at the Maryhill Renewal Center in Pineville, LA. From 1997-2001 she was a pastoral worker at St. Genevieve Church in Lafayette. She resides at Evangeline Oaks Guest House in Carencro.
Sister Lawrence, a native of Rayne, entered the congregation in 1952 and made her first profession in 1955. She re- ceived an M.T.S. in mathematics from Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C. in 1968, and in 1986 she received certification in computer sci- ence. In 52 years of teaching, she taught at Mount Carmel High School in Lafayette, and St. Dominic, St. James Major, Mount Carmel Academy and Brother Martin High School in New Orleans. She has written mathematics curricula, conducted math workshops and in-services, served as math department chair, math and computer consultant, assistant principal, athletic director, yearbook and newspaper advisor and Mu Alpha Theta moderator. She was on the congregation’s executive council as assistant to the president, coordinator of the Strategic Initiatives, editor of Contemplatives in Action, president of Carmelite Ministries, Inc. board, corporation secretary and development director. She resides in Lacombe, where she serves as president of the congregation.
Sister Evelyn, a native of Kaplan, entered the congregation in 1952 and made her first profession in 1955. She received a master’s degree in elementary education from Nicholls State University in 1972. She received certification in administration and supervision from the Univer- sity of Notre Dame in 1980. She taught in elementary and middle schools for 30 years at St. James Major, St. Dominic and St. Louis King of France in New Orleans, Mount Carmel in Lafayette, and Rayne Catholic Elementary in Rayne, where she served as principal from 1980-83. She also served at St. Elizabeth in Paincourtville, St. Joseph the Worker in Marrero and St. Euphrasia in California. She served as maintenance director of the congregation’s property in Lacombe and was parish secretary of Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Erath and St. Jules Church in Lafayette. She resides in Lafayette.